Can Garlic Oil Help with Hair Growth?
Garlic has a close-relation with onion and shallots and is usually used as a garnish.
But garlic is more than just a garnish and a cooking ingredient. It can help fight against common colds and reduce cholesterol and blood pressure. Additionally, it helps in reducing the risk of dementia.
The sulfur content found in garlic shows potential in slowing the growth if cancer cells. Plus, garlic also contains antioxidants, which is helpful in fighting aging.
With all these benefits, it may come as no surprise that garlic also promotes hair growth. Using it may result to longer or thicker hair.
The Effects of Garlic on the Hair
Garlic is said to be effective in improving hair growth, but scientific evidence is still needed to validate its claims, which include:
- Garlic possesses essential minerals for hair growth such as sulfur, zinc, and calcium.
- It has antifungal and antimicrobial contents which help prevent scalp damage by killing bacteria and germs, promoting hair growth in the process.
- Selenium acts as blood circulation stimulant for hair nourishment. Luckily, garlic is full of selenium.
- Garlic purifies the hair follicles, strengthening it at the same time, which may result in less hair loss.
- It calms the scalp and treats dandruff issues.
- Raw garlic contains Vitamin C, vitamin B6, and manganese. These nutrients help in boosting the collagen production, resulting for healthier hair.
- A 2007 published study reported an improvement from an alopecia patient after applying a garlic gel to a specific bald spot.
- Keratinocytes are the skin cells responsible for producing keratin. It found in most of the outer skin, which includes the scalp and hair follicles. A study found in 2016, shows that garlic can protect keratinocytes from the harmful UV rays, which may damage the hair.
Can We Apply Raw Garlic Directly to the Scalp?
It is risky to apply raw garlic directly to your hair or even to the other parts of your body, especially if you have very sensitive skin.
Although garlic is very helpful for hair growth, it can burn the skin when applied raw. There are even documents to back up serious incidents of garlic home remedies that cause chemical burns. Moreover, the risk is also present in garlic-containing products such as essential oils.
If you seriously want to have healthy hair using garlic, you may want to add carrier oils in your garlic home remedy.
How to Make and Use Garlic for Hair Growth?
It is important to be educated that garlic oils and cooking oils are different, though both exist in the market.
There are several hair treatment products that are infused with garlic, including garlic essential oil. Extracted garlic oils are essential to be stored that is why it is mostly concentrated and mixed with alcohol. Additionally, the garlic itself has sulfur compounds which could be irritating for skin and eyes.
To lessen skin and eyes irritation, it is vital to dilute garlic using oil. You can use olive, castor, or coconut oil in making your own garlic conditioner. Both of the oils are good for your hair’s health.
To make your own conditioner, you will be needing the following:
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium sized onion (optional)
- ½ cup oil (coconut, olive, or castor)
- Garlic press, blender, or fork
Note that the process time for making the condition is 45 minutes.
Here is the step by step procedure to make the garlic conditioner:
- Get your garlic press and crush the garlic. You may also use either of blender or fork if you do not have a garlic press. Crush also the onion if you are including it in your solution.
- Heat the oil in the pan over low heat until it warms (not hot).
- Add the garlic (and onion) paste and swirl it around the pan until it gives a fragrant smell or until it starts to turn brown.
- Turn off the heat and let the oil cool.
- Once cooled, use a strainer to separate and discard the pulp, and pour it in a bottle or a glass jar for storing purpose. An article noted that dark glass may help your solution to last longer.
To use the condition, follow these simple steps:
- Get two tablespoons of the mixture and gently apply it to your hair and scalp.
- Massage your hair and scalp for 15 minutes then cover it with a towel. Let it sit for an additional 30 minutes.
- Gently wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Repeat this process twice or thrice a week for best results.
Have a Stronger Hair Without Garlic
Treatments of all sort are available to have healthier hair–that is thicker and stronger hair. The best way to start is to reduce damaging your hair. Here are some simple and helpful tips:
- Avoid drying out your hair by too much washing. Lessen the times you wash your hair by reducing it by 3 to 5 times a week.
- Avoid using a blow dryer, which is one of the causes to damage your hair. Air dry instead.
- Avoid using too much hair styling products.
- Limit or avoid using heat-styling tools. It is also better if you first apply protectant to your hair before using heat-styling tools.
Your diet may also affect the growth of your hair, so it is important that you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. That is, your meal should be filled with vitamins and minerals. This can develop your hair appearance as well as prevent it from thinning.
Lastly, speaking to your doctor might be the best solution if you want to have healthy hair or if you want to regrow it. They have the best suggestion to advise whether through the use of garlic or not, or whether it is safe to try homemade mixture with garlic.