Homemade Washing Powder
Washing clothes is probably one of your weekly, if not, daily routine. It is very important as we all know that you need to wash your clothes in order to wear these again. To wash your clothes, you need detergent.
Unfortunately, some detergents cost more but are actually better, unlike those cheap ones. So in the end, you would buy the expensive detergent in the hopes of getting fragrant and clean clothes. But did you know that you can actually make your own detergent? You can! Not only will this help you save money, but it can also help you decide your preferred smell.
So how will you make a homemade washing powder? Find out by reading through this article.
Why Natural Washing Powder?
Making a handmade powder can help you save as mentioned earlier. But what are the other benefits that you can get from this?
Research shows that detergents that you can buy at local stores have tons of chemicals including phenols, fragrances, and sulfates. There are even those that have petroleum distillates which are said to be connected to lung disease and cancer. Not only those, but the fragrances found on these detergents have chemicals as well.
On the contrary, natural or homemade detergents are free from chemicals. It contains natural ingredients to ensure that your new soap will not be harmful and will not cause you any health conditions. Plus, it is easy and fast to make.
Washing Powder Ingredients
Now that you are fully convinced that you are making your own washing powder, you should now proceed on gathering the ingredients. The good news is that apart from being natural ingredients, these can be easily bought at grocery stores.
You have the option to your any natural unscented soap. If you have no idea what soap to use, you can try making a coconut oil soap recipe.
If you are not familiar with borax yet, it is a mineral that consists of water, oxygen, boron, and sodium. It is found on natural soaps.
It is made of limestone and common salt. If there is no washing soda available, you can make one from baking soda.
It is actually an option but adding this will help you get fresher clothes.
Step by Step Guide in Making Laundry Soap
Once you have completed all the ingredients needed, it is time that you make the soap. Keep an eye on these steps to get your desired result.
- The first step would be to grate your chosen bar soap. If you do not have the equipment or you are too late to grate the soap, you can mix it in a food processor and stop once the mixture is fine. Make sure that you are using your favorite soap. It is also good to try scented soaps if you want to.
- Get a huge bowl and place 2 parts of borax, 1 part of the mixed soap, and 2 parts of washing soda. If you are not sure of the proper measurement, you can use 1 cup of borax, 1 cup of washing soda, and 1 bar of mixed soap.
- You can use 2 tablespoons for every ¼ cup when you do laundry.
- Once you are done mixing these, move it in a closed container. The bigger the container, the better.
Step by Step Guide in Making Liquid Washing Detergent
Although this is not actually part of the article, since the focus is washing powder, it might also come in handy in the event that you decide to switch to making liquid soap. Considering this, here are the easy steps to make homemade liquid soap.
- Just like before, you need to grate the soap. You can use a food processor or cheese grater.
- After that, place the soap in the pan. Add 2 quarts of water and stir it in a gradual heat. Continue doing this until the soap is fully dissolved.
- Then, in a separate gallon, place hot tap water. After doing that, add 2 cups of washing soda and 2 cups of borax. Stir these until these become dissolved.
- Add the mixture of the soap to the gallon and continue stirring.
- Leave the mixture and cover it.
- The next day, stir the mixture until it is smooth. Move it to another container.
Which Is Better: Detergent or Soap?
If you are one of the many people who still cannot decide if you should use a detergent or soap, then this is the best time to know the answer. Between the two, detergents are usually used for washing machines. Meanwhile, soaps can be used for the skin and are not strong to harm you.
So it will actually depend on how you wash your clothes. If you are a washing machine user, then detergents are the one for you. But if you prefer hand washing, then you should use soaps. However, take note that there are disadvantages as well. It has been said that soaps can make your clothes dingy whereas using washing machines can shrink your clothes.
Washing powders are very important. These are used to help you clean your clothes. With that, it is no longer a surprise that there are tons of detergents and soaps available at convenience stores. Unfortunately, these products contain chemicals that can be harmful to your clothes as well as your body.
In order to prevent experiencing dingy clothes and other health conditions, consider making handmade washing powder. Making it is easy and fast. You just have to make sure that you have all the ingredients that you need, and you follow the instructions in making it properly.
Not only can you make a washing powder at home, but you can also make your very own liquid detergent. Both have the same ingredients and some steps, just mix the ingredients with hot water and leave it overnight. With this guide, you can now make a liquid detergent and soap powder.