How to Make Ginger Ale: Ginger Ale with A Ginger Bug
Ginger or Ginger Officinale contains antioxidants and other healing properties. This spicy, lemony and biting rhizome or root constitutes one of the culinary ingredients and herbal supplements. Ginger ale refers to a carbonated drink made with ginger, lemon and herbal garnishes. Ginger can make an excellent beverage for all occasions, add a nutritious drink or compliment cocktail drinks. Want to make one?
Here’s how to make ginger ale:
- 5 to 6 ounces of chopped Ginger
- Organic sugar
- Lemon or lime
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Ginger bug ( a culture of probiotics or beneficial bacteria)
- 1 gallon of boiled water
- Finely chop the ginger with a big knife.
- Add the chopped ginger into boiling water.
- Add a cup of organic sugar into boiling water
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Strain the ginger tea into strainer.
- Add six quarts of water
- Add lemon juice by squeezing two lemons.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt
- Add the ginger bug by sifting through a strainer and mix.
- Pour the ginger ale into bottles and seal.
- Place the bottle in a warm place and leave for 24 to 48 hours. This allows the yeast in the ginger bug to ferment or eat the sugar. The fermentation process produces carbon dioxide thus makes the ginger ale a carbonated drink.
- Ginger syrup
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup peeled and chopped sugar
- ½ cup sugar (granulated)
- Ginger Ale
- 2-3 lemon or lime juice
- Ginger syrup
- 1-quart seltzer or soda water
- Boil water and ginger in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 40 minutes until ginger infuses into water.
- Let the mixture cool and steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain in a fine-mesh strainer in a medium bowl. Remove the chopped ginger.
- Pour the ginger water into the saucepan. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Bring into medium heat, stir while dissolving the sugar for 5 minutes.
- Mix the syrup, club soda, lime juice.
- Keep in an airtight container.
Quick Ginger Ale Recipe
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 lime or lemon juice
- 11/2 tbsp grated ginger
- ¼ tsp dry yeast
- 1-gallon water
- Add all the ingredients in boiling water.
- Sift the mixture in a fine streamer
- Pour the ginger ale in a tight bottle.
- Leave at room temperature for 2 days.
Indian Ginger Ale Recipe
- 1 sliced lemon
- Mint or peppermint leaves
- 1 cup juice (lemon)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 bucket of crushed ice
- 2 cups of soda water
- 1 cup of lemon juice
- In low heat, bring the water to boil and dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer until the syrup thickens.
- Remove from heat, add the lemon juice and ginger, mix well and store in a sterilized an airtight bottle.
- Serve with 3-4 tbsp syrup, soda water, crushed ice and mix.
- Garnish with mint leaves and lemon slice.
Ginger ale with cloves
- ½ cup of grated or chopped ginger
- 4 bottles of chilled soda water
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 clove
- 2 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- 30 thinly sliced ginger
- 5 cloves
- Bring the water to boil in a medium-sized pan, add sugar and ginger. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Strain with a thin strainer.
- Pour in each beer glass with equal quantities of cloves, ginger slices, lemon juice, ginger juice, and soda water.
How to Make a Ginger Bug
Ginger bug refers to a slurry of ginger, water and sugar. It’s a pre-ingredient for making ginger ale.
- 1-quart mason jar
- 2 to 3 tbsps chopped or grated ginger
- 2 cups of filtered water
- Woven cloth
- Pour the mixture into a quart of mason jar. Add the grated ginger, sugar and water.
- When the bubble forms in the slurry and fizzes after stirring, your ginger bug is ready to use.
- Feed the yeast in the ginger bug by adding more sugar.
Healthy ginger beer
- 8 cups fresh and filtered water (dechlorinated)
- 2 minced ginger root
- ½ lime cup and fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup stevia
- ½ cup ginger bug
- ½ tsp Himalayan or sea salt
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, water, ginger root, salt and molasses.
- Simmer the mixture for five minutes until it smells like ginger and the sugar dissolved.
- Remove from heat, add extra water and let it cool to room temperature.
- Add ginger bug, lime or lemon juice.
- Pour into a mason jar
- Leave in the room temperature for 2-3 days to carbonate. You should see bubbles after carbonation.
- Chill with ice or keep in the fridge.
Canada Dry Ginger Ale
- 2 tsp kosher salt (pure salt without impurities)
- ¼ cup of whey
- 2/4 cup fresh, peeled and sliced ginger
- ½ cup whey
- ½-¼ cup of whey
- 2 quarts water (filtered)
- Mint leaves
- Chop and peel ginger
- Add filtered water and other ingredients to a mason jar
- Leave in room temperature for 2-4 days to carbonate. When you see there are bubbles, it’s already fizzing.
- Transfer to the fridge after carbonation.
Is Ginger Ale Good for You?
Ginger ale with sugar is not for everyone because some people suffer from diabetes. Instead, use sugar substitutes such as stevia, coconut sugar, yacon syrup, xylitol, maple syrup, honey and erythritol.
What are its Nutritional Content?
Ginger ale contains more carbohydrates, fibre and trace amounts of protein, sodium, and fat. The nutritional content depends upon the ingredients used. For a healthier option, skip the refined sugar and used sugar substitutes instead.
Are Ginger Ale and Ginger Beer the Same?
The two drinks are different. Ginger ale undergoes brewing and fermenting while ginger constitutes a carbonated beverage.
The Bottom Line
Use fresh ingredients such as lemon, ginger and lime. Ensure to check the fermentation daily for best results. For healthier options, use sugar alternatives such as stevia and xylitol. Garnish with cloves and mint leaves and serve. You can other variations of ginger ale and its garnishes such as herbs and candied ginger. Or, add flavours such as lime, peach, cranberry, blackberry and green tea.