Breast Cancer: What A Patient Should Not Eat
Health conditions such as diseases and illnesses are things that individuals greatly abhor. This is because these medical conditions can adversely affect overall comfort and wellness. But imagine something more serious, something that can adversely affect the lives of affected people in the long run. One such terrible illness is Breast Cancer, a form of cancer that will require lifelong commitment and lifestyle modifications to ensure that it is treated and that cancer does not recur. To improve the treatment, there are a number of food items that a breast cancer patient should not eat and food items that are recommended for consumption. This article will look at the said food items.
Breast Cancer and Treatment: A Brief Overview
A number of things can happen to individuals once the treatment for breast cancer starts. These can include symptoms such as the appearance of mouth sores, vomiting, and nausea. Once all of these symptoms appear, mealtimes can be extremely frustrating. However, for people with breast cancer and those undergoing treatment for breast cancer, eating a healthy and balanced diet is especially important.
With proper nutrition, the patient can better recover from breast cancer and help make breast cancer treatment more effective. In addition, eating the right kind of food items can help patients better manage their weight on top of retaining the strength of the patient’s muscle strength. For people who may find it more challenging and difficult to eat food items during cancer treatment, then there are a number of eating strategies that can improve a breast cancer patient’s eating habits.
Food Items Breast Cancer Patient Should Not Eat
Enumerated below are some of the food items that breast cancer patients should NOT eat:
- Dairy products and meats that are high in fats- The said food items have increased levels of fat that are saturated. Red and fatty meat products such as organ meats and burgers should be avoided or at least limited. The same goes for cream, butter, and whole milk.
- Different types of Alcoholic beverages– Liquor, wine, and beer can lead to an interaction between the alcohol content of the said drinks and the cancer medication. This is considered a serious risk factor for breast cancer development as well.
- Various Sweets and sugar-laced products- Weight gain is something people might experience through the consumption of various sweets and sugary products such as sodas, candies, cakes, and cookies. These sweets can also limit or reduce the intake of other food items that can healthy for the breast cancer patient.
- Food items that are undercooked– The white blood cell count of the body can significantly dip when undergoing breast cancer treatment. With these white blood cells in reduced amounts, the ability of the body to fight off infections will also be compromised. As such, it is best to avoid food items that are raw such as oysters and sushi while undergoing breast cancer treatment. It is recommended that all poultry, fish, and meats be cooked in temperatures that are safe before consumption.
Food Items Breast Cancer Patient Should be Eating
On the other hand, listed below are some of the food items that breast cancer patients should eat:
- Vegetables and fruits- Veggies and fruits that are brightly colored have increased beneficial chemicals in them called phytochemicals. Veggies that are cruciferous are also excellent choices for people with breast cancer as these contain properties that are antiestrogen. These include vegetables such as Brussel sprouts, kale, cauliflower, and broccoli. Other choices that may be helpful for patients with breast cancer include carrots, tomatoes, garlic, apples, and berries. It is also recommended that people eat a minimum of five servings of veggies and fruits on a daily basis.
- Whole-grain foods- Foods that are whole grain such as quinoa, oatmeal, and whole-wheat bread have increased fiber content. Adding fiber to one’s daily diet can help in lowering the risk of being constipated which can be caused by a number of certain cancer drugs. It is recommended that people take in around 25 to 30 grams of fiber each day.
- Beans and lentils- Beans and lentils are also ideal food items for breast cancer patients as they are low in fat but rich in protein.
- Foods that are high in protein- It is best to keep one’s protein sources healthy as these can help the body to function better and maintain improved health. This can include food items such as turkey breasts, chicken, and certain types of fish which include salmon and tuna. Other plant-based food items can also provide cancer patients with healthy protein such as nuts and tofu.
Can you go on a Ketogenic Diet while undergoing breast cancer treatment?
Some online articles and blogs claim that certain eating patterns and diet programs can help individuals in actually curing their cancer. These are claims that are exaggerated and people should approach these claims with caution. There are eating strategies that can help in improving a cancer patient’s outlook such as a diet that is low in fat or the Mediterranean diet. In fact, there are studies that show that eating a low-fat diet can improve the chances of survival for cancer patients after cancer treatment.
On the other hand, going on a ketogenic diet means that the patient will be shifting his or her diet into a low carb diet that is high in fat. The ketogenic diet has currently been gaining a lot of popularity as sustaining a state of ketosis can make the body a more efficient fat-burning machine. While the keto diet can provide a number of health benefits to different types of cancers, there is still no conclusive proof that it can actually cure cancer of the breasts. In fact, going for ketosis while doing the ketogenic diet can lead to various chemical imbalances in the body which can be quite risky for people who are undergoing treatment for breast cancer.
The best option for patients is that they take in a balanced and healthy diet with fat, calories, protein and critical nutrients.